Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Wisdom Removal

Ok, so in case you didn't know, I got my wisdom teeth out this last Friday. It was a blast. I had two crazy impacted teeth so the oral surgeon very kindly put me under anesthesia.

Let me tell you about my day last Friday how I remember it. Well, the parts that I can actually remember.

My appointment was at noon, so the entire morning I was forbidden from eating food and drinking anything. but there was a couple of times that I got thirsty and I had a couple sips of water. (Shhh... don't tell the dr.!) But I was strong against the temptation to even go into the kitchen where there was cinnamon raisin bread begging to be put in my mouth.

The morning passed relatively quickly with showering and getting ready and putting a baby down for his nap and fun stuff like that. At 11:15 Brian came home and we left with my sister around 11:30 for the tooth removal. When they called me back, they sat me on the oral surgery chair next to the heart monitor and lots of pokey things that looked pretty serious. I got a pulse reader clamped on my finger, a blood pressure thing like the one at the hospital when I gave birth, and then they stuck a needle in my vein and taped it on. It was full of dark liquid. I guess dark = sleep. Makes sense. Then we waited for the doctor. Well, the nurse lady left to get him and I waited there alone with a needle sitting there in my vein, listening to my heart rate beeping at me. It was all a little unnerving.

When the doctor came in, they wasted no time. "Four wisdom teeth today, huh?" the oral surgeon said, followed by "Should I put in all of this?" the nurse lady asked (I guess she's an oral surgeon assistant? dunno. nurse lady works), referring to the dark liquid in the syringe attached to the needle in my vein. "Yep" said the oral surgeon. Then he looked at me sternly because my heart rate was all over the place and said "Breathe deeply."

So I did. And then the room went all spinny and that was it.

Apparently I was later wheeled into the recovery room in a wheelchair. I don't remember. I also don't remember demanding water because I was SO THIRSTY. But apparently they syringed water into my mouth and then changed my gauze. I don't remember anything until I was in the car, almost home. I was thirsty and wanted water. I took a water bottle that Brian had in his lap and Jordynn gave me my syringe and That was Amazing. Water was so good. And then they dropped off my prescription and Brian decided to drive the long way home. What? I wanted to say something because it was going to take so much longer and I was feeling sick to my stomach. Finally, in front of some condos I finally got out "Pull over - i'm gonna puke." So he did.

And then I puked. I know you wanted to know. And it was on the side of the road in some lovely green grass. And I didn't care.

And then I was fine.

Another thing I don't remember was asking the same questions over and over again. I guess I just really wanted to know what they'd been doing and how many pieces the doctor broke my tooth into. It was very important to know. I hate missing out on stuff. For serious.

Maybe Brian will give you his version of the events. They're bound to be more interesting and without holes.

But one thing I do know - I am SO addicted to pudding right now. The chocolate kind. In fact, I ate an entire package yesterday by myself. And I don't regret it one bit.

2 comments:

  1. Did they give you pain killers at the office? That could be why you puked, since it was on an empty stomach.

    The several times I was at the hospital with my pregnancy with Adam, they would keep me there for 4-5 hours refusing food/water. . .then they would give me pain meds. I would always tell them that it wouldn't last long on my empty stomach . . .and I did the same thing you did EVERY TIME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you puked? That's no good. But kind of awesome.

    Now I never want to get my wisdom teeth out. I'll just keep praying that they don't come in, that should work, right?

    PS I love the title. I read the post first, then looked at the title, and chuckled.

    ReplyDelete