Friday, May 8, 2009

Visiting the backwoods

Well, we're going to Tennessee!

Brian's been wanting to go since before we got married. Every few months he'll just talk non-stop about how fantastic it is there and how he misses it and wants to go back. I always tell him that if he makes room in his work schedule, that I am more than happy to go. And then in the past two days, he did. So he searched many travel websites and found some good deals. It's still by no means inexpensive, but definitely worth it.

This all came about when I was missing Snowflake 4th of July festivities. I've been wanting to attend it for a couple of years and felt a little homesick. I think that made Brian ponder the glories of Tennessee and make him feel homesick for childhood, as well. So I got over myself and realized he missed TN more and told him we should go to Tennessee.

It's nice to make a husband so happy. :)

Now he keeps on asking what I want to do there. ... Um. I don't know. Give me a list of things and I'll veto what doesn't sound fun. We may or may not: visit Nashville (so I can stalk country singers and Nicole Kidman), see the Smokey Mountains, go to Dollywood (heaven help us), tour random historical sites. We will be visiting Brian's childhood home and the river he played by.

I'm afraid I won't be wanting to come back. But maybe I'll get a tick and swear off living where I can get one of those again. SICK. I better pack some tweezers. SICK. worse than salmon.

So I guess this is a summer of vacation. It's nice when you don't use up a whole week at once with the birth of a child, huh? And I guess it's kinda worth Brian not taking time off for six months, making his work superiors think he needs lots of time for his family...

6 comments:

  1. Hi, I am in the conf talk book club with you. So it is nice to "meet" you. I love your site.
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl! Don't think I stop commenting because of Twilight. Honestly, I have stopped commenting as much to everyone, because sometimes I go crazy with the amount of blogs I read. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I'm jealous. I'm sure Brian will do a great job giving you the neighborhood and hometown tour, from Fruitland to Dead Man's, from the antebellum courthouse (be sure to take the tour if it's available, so you can see the civil war soldier's marks) to Fort SW Point. You could also ride the riverboat in Kingston, and maybe even hit the drive-in theatre in mid-town! Woot!

    You should go when the lightning bugs are aplenty, and hopefully you'll catch a summer thunderstorm or two--that'll give you a true taste of TN. Be sure to be near the woods in the evening so you can enjoy the awesome night sounds.... Maybe round up some random kids and play kick-the-can....

    Definitely go to Cade's Cove--be sure to read Christy by Catherine Marshall before-- I would suggest biking it early AM, but that may be difficult with Sean. Maybe hit some civil war battlefields if you're into that kind of thing.

    And I do think you should go to Dollywood--I mean, really you have to so you know what the heck we're talking about. It actually isn't as hokey as it sounds, and Dolly Parton pours pretty much everything right back into the area--she has a wonderful children's literacy program for TN kids, they get a new book in the mail every month from birth til 5 or so.

    Whew! Have fun! PS I could take or leave Nashville, but if you are really into country music, this would be a good chance, I guess. Opryland Hotel is cool, too, but I think you are going to have too much to do and too little time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie,

    The river boat's no longer in Kingston. It moved to Ft Loudon Lake. Guess they claimed it was because of the ash spill, but they probably just wanted to get closer to Knoxville.

    ReplyDelete