Saturday, September 12, 2009

A tribute - Short, but Heartfelt.

It's funny that when sad things happen to those around us, we are compelled to act as though nothing is happening and try to go on normally. But our thoughts are constantly on what's going on. What those in the terrible circumstance are thinking. How we can possible help them. What there is to do. How sad they must be when we are so sad ourselves.

But we put on a brave face and try to be a strong shoulder. And that's just what we do. And what I hope to do when I visit home in a little more than a week.

A good friend of the family is dying quickly of breast cancer. It came as a shock after we all thought she was in remission. Those sleeper cells are sneaky with their deviousness and destruction. And now she could go within the week, back to a Father in Heaven and all the good things she has earned in this life and gets to work hard while she waits for the rest of her family.

I remember when I was little she would laugh at my quiet little knock on their door to see if her daughter could play. She was always in the kitchen or her sewing room or helping her husband at work. There was always a certain way she did things and her ways endeared her to all of those around her. Always serving and teaching. I still have a little patchwork dog my friend, her daughter, gave me for my birthday that this talented woman made. I love it and the creativity she has to make such things.

Now, I know she wasn't perfect. Who is? But she will be dearly missed by all who knew her and especially her family. I know that when I go back home and visit my parent's ward, I will miss seeing her and talking to her and laughing at something she said.

I'm so grateful to have known her. I am terribly sad that she's not going to be around forever like I counted on in the back of my mind.

So farewell, Sister Carter. Godspeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment