We got the new camera! It will be so nice to have such a fast shutter speed. These boys just don't have time to hold still. I've been snapping pictures like crazy and I hope to get up a couple sometime this weekend. As soon as Brian sets things up on the computer. And shows me how easy it is to work it all.
I've been trying a new approach to parenting with Alan. He's been fighting this whole 'sleep' thing for a long time now. We had a terrible time the last couple of weeks. And then in my google searches of desperation I came across a website that changed my outlook. I don't even know what I typed into the search engine. I'm just grateful I found it.
All twelve features are found in my adorable little boy. Everything written just spoke to me. I researched further in Dr Sears' website and the more I learned about a high needs baby, the more I realized that my approach was wrong for Alan. I was too tense and anxious about things and he was feeding off of my vibes and becoming the same way. Naptime was a fight. He woke up every two hours at night. I'm not going to do everything the man recommends, as obviously everybody is not textbook-exact in their needs. But it was a huge moment of enlightening.
Alan is not going to react the way Sean did to things. With Sean I could put him is his crib and he'd fall asleep. With Alan I'm finding that we have to have a wind-down time before I should even attempt putting him down for a nap. Brian can't rough house with him and then put him in bed. Rough trial last night, it went so well. He had no trouble falling asleep. Fantastic!
Now, I'm not saying that all of our sleep troubles are behind us, but I have found myself completely accepting of his moods. If he is done playing, I pick him up. As soon as he acts fussy, I put him to bed. I don't refuse him the comfort he needs even if it's inconvenient. And so far today, things have been going SO SO SO much better.
Then again Sean is at my in-laws' house today, which is allowing Alan to not get overstimulated.
I really hope this works.
I'm glad you found something! I can only imagine how Sean could excite any other little one. I hope things continue to go in the right direction and I look forward to seeing some more pictures!
ReplyDeleteIsn't it weird how kids from the same parents can be so differant? All 3 have mine have been differant. Todd slept anywhere, Kylee would only sleep in her own bed. Kamber will sleep where ever, but sometimes she fights sleep to the bitter end. She HATES to be swaddled but sometimes the only way I can calm her down is by swaddling her. She'll fight me for about a minute and then she's out. As soon as I think I have this mom thing figured out I'm shot down!
ReplyDeleteSo tell me what it is that you found. Cruz is killing me too! I don't know how I'm supposed to be a good mom all day when I've had lousy sleep. Come on kids, give me a break at night and I'll be more than happy to deal with you in the morning. I wish they got that... message me on fb.
ReplyDeleteI hear you.
ReplyDelete"high needs baby".. that was sooo Jake! I read so many books trying to figure out wahat to do. The biggest thing for him was consistency and schedule.. every night from time he was infant he'd have bath, then read, then songs.. he still loves the nightly ritual and it seemed to help for him, but like Kasey said, every kid is different so good luck ;)
ReplyDeleteWell, I am so late to the game, How is everything going?
ReplyDelete