Thursday, July 31, 2008

My Two Cents

So, before I blog, Tay wanted me to mention that the previous post was sleep-deprived induced.  I think those make the best posts, but she thinks they are ridiculous.  Anyways, I just wanted to weigh on the new shoes issue.  Over the past 4 years, I have built a massive collection of shoes.  I can proudly say I own 7 pairs of shoes.  2 pair of dress shoes (one brown, one black), 2 pair of tennis shoes (one grungy, one nice), a pair of hiking boots, a pair of casual dress shoes, and a pair of sandals.  I like to keep life simple like that.  If I'm going to work, I'll wear the casual shoes.  Church?  The dress ones (most always the black ones, don't know why that is).  The point is, I have one pair of shoes for every possible situation.  And I usually wear those until they're so worn out that they Tay replaces them.  At this point, probably 1/3 of my collection could use replacing.

A quick look into my son's room shows that he has amassed about 10 times more shoes than me in his extensive 6.5 week lifetime.  How many of those has he worn?  Probably one.  I don't fault him for that.  I mean the kid can't even hold up his own head for any amount of time.  In time he'll wear one or two of them and outgrow the rest.

What concerns me is that my lovely wife is wanting another pair of shoes.  An unscientific survey revealed she has over 20 pairs of shoes prominently displayed throughout our house.  That doesn't even count the ones she possibly has hidden in some remote location alongside some little debbie snacks or cheese nips she's been keeping from me.  What's strange to me is that she, like me, is a creature of habit.  She mostly wears the same sets of shoes.  I can honestly say there are pairs of shoes hanging in our closet that she has not touched since I've known her.  Some of her trusty shoes she wears all the time are in need of replacement.  And there in the closet, are some pairs of shoes that I'd be surprised if they've been worn at all.  Just wanted to throw this out there for the folks that thought I was being mean for making her get rid of a pair of shoes before buying a new one.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go play catch with my son and teach him to do other manly things, like pare down his shoe collection to the bare minimum.

5 comments:

  1. that is ALL it is worth-- your two cents that is. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, as a certified shoe lover, i just have to comment. i can understand your logical point of view. BUT for reference, i think it's also important to mention that i've got 80+ pairs of shoes. i'm maybe a bit on the obsessed side of things.

    my family teases me endlessly about my collection, but my husband just smiles and realizes that for whatever reason, they make me happy. is it somewhat ridiculous? probably.

    i'm hopefully not coming off like i condemn your point of view, because truly it is very logical. but the thing is, for some women, shoes aren't just filling the purpose of covering our feet -- they're pretty and we love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're no different from any other couple:)

    matt's collection of shoes is just like brian's.

    mine is just like tay's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. see...like Tay said, it seriously is a sentimental thing. I remember those shoes when this happened....and even though I haven't worn them in 15.7 years, doesn't mean I love them any less........hehehehehe:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like shoes too, but I will get rid of ones that I will never wear again, I feel bad for hanging on to stuff when someone else could use it. Brian you need to understand that shoes are still great collectibles and really fun to have and buy. I know babies don't really wear shoes, but they are really cute and make me happy just looking at them.

    I agree with Tay about the couches, they aren't attractive and don't really go with your cute new house. I did like the chair though.

    ReplyDelete