Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Letting it Snow


There are many songs, stories and feelings about snow. Growing up in Arizona, I always wished that I could be surrounded by snow in the winter, that a little more sparkle could be given to the drab cold that comes with the season. It was just somehow not right that I never got a snowday at school or got to build my own Frosty the Snowman. "Unjust!" I would think to myself.

Fast forward to college. That first snowfall was magical. I couldn't believe it! I was living in a place that snows! My roommate and I ran outside and took a picture of us in the "snow." It was a phenomenon and we were so excited. And then the thermostat went below 30 degrees and the snow stuck. I could still get excited about it, but I was less enthusiastic about the whole thing. It was cold and I hate being cold - it hurts worse when you stub you toe, among other things like ice and wetness.

I feel like I did my best to make snow the magical thing I wished it was. I tried frolicking with my roommates in it, snowball fighting, sliding in the slush, and sledding. All was fruitless. I'm too clumsy for snow. It makes me trip, slip and fall (more than usual). As much as I have tried to laugh at my clumsiness, it's always embarrassing to me, so now I just tread heavily as i attempt to gain traction on my merry way. **Sidenote - i think that I have a fear of snow from all of those movies about how the husband/father/mother/child dies in an icy carwreck on Christmas Eve. Remind me how that's a good plot?**

Anyway, this year I have decided to come to terms with snow in all of its slushy, cold glory. For the sake of my kids I will embrace the idea that snow is fun and not everybody is embarrassed when they fall down. Geez, it's like i'm five and don't want people to think I'm a baby and can't walk. Whatever. I am going to wear boots so I will not fall and only leave the house when I absolutely have to and MAKE SNOW ROMANTIC BY DRINKING HOT CHOCOLATE. With marshmallows.

I am open to suggestions on how to make snow more fun or romantical.

2 comments:

  1. i think the best way is by not having to go out in it. :)

    snow is very romantical from inside your house!

    ReplyDelete