I love the tree. This year Brian got a permit to help the forest rangers deforest. This means he's cutting down a tree for our living room. So cool! I don't know if we'll do that every year, but the tree is my favorite tradition at Christmas. Us kids would always help my mom, fight over who got to put up the favorite ornaments, and then finish up by sitting back and reveling in our work. (granted mom always re-adorned the tree when we were at school, but like we ever noticed.) I can't wait until I have my own little helpers. I also plan to explain to those helpers as we decorate why we have the tree and what it symbolizes.
I love looking at the lights up on the houses in suburbia. So magical. Magical? how about pretty. I just like lights.
I love have a reason to talk about Jesus Christ all of the time. Not that I avoid it the rest of the year, but at least people don't think that I'm crazy right now. Right? huh...
I love waking up way too early on Christmas morning and sneak downstairs to look at the Christmas tree glowing so beautiful in the dark, casting delicious shadows on the wrapped boxes below. It's so fantastic. Now THAT is magical. It warms me up inside. (is it because I'm kinda artsy fartsy?)
I love singing. At this time of year i get to sing all day, everywhere I go. And again, nobody thinks i'm crazy. (or as crazy)
I love decorations. i left mine out last year for four months afterwards. Gotta celebrate Easter too. (and I was pregnant and tired and then they only got put away because we moved.)
I love trying to be anti-materialistic. The problem is, everything that I need in the time between my birthday and Christmas is saved for Christmas gifts. I like being "surprised." Maybe I just like opening giftwrap. Or maybe i never grew up from the age of 2 and i just really like to crinkle wrapping paper.
I love cheap stuff. And let's face it, stuff is never cheaper than this month. I bought the baby's birthday presents already. You know, for june. And i showed them to him because I can. Kinda nice to be done with that one.
Ok, so the last one doesn't really count. But it is nice to get prepared for the year when it costs half as much as later. It also makes it easier to save money. ahem. But that's because I hate shopping and i don't buy things unless I've convinced myself that i have to.
All who read this are welcome to comment on what they love most about the holiday season, regardless of religion. Are people nicer to you? Are they meaner and it makes it easier for you to hate others? Do you also like the inexpensive goods? Are there any traditions for your holiday (holy day, anybody?) that you love? Is it another good reason to destroy your children with too many toys and overstimulate them after loading them up with sugar only to take them over to your in-laws?
do share. and if not in my comments like I want, at least blog about it! Because that is what you ought to do during holidays. you know, write things that make you happy. Right?
i love the shopping -- the good prices, the good reasons to shop. i also love the lights and all the parties.
ReplyDeleteIts terrible to say but I hate this time of year. Im not Christian and I am bombarded with xmas and its hard on the kids and its just not much fun. Sorry Im a downer I know
ReplyDelete