
Gotta love MacBooks. This is yet again a picture from TODAY. :) I know, he needs a haircut. But isn't is cute how it's all messy?
And yes, my child plays in a box. It does wonders to prevent wandering into the bathroom or pulling books off of the shelf, and to keep him entertained for quite a while. And, for the record, he thinks it's great.
Now I will address Scott's second question of "why are Canadians so weird?" (oh yeah, I know who he is now. Cool, huh?)
The answer, Scott, is a difficult one. But I see where you are coming from. For those of you who remember Dan LeCavalier, he was a weird one. For those of you who have zero idea of who he is, there are more famous examples: Tom Green (I really could stop with him), Michael J Fox, Barenakedladies (that's a band... a Hilarious one at that), Tom Cavanagh, Alanis Morissette, and, because this list could not be complete without him, Keanu Reeves - the worst actor ever. Maybe worse than Tom Cruise. I don't know. That's your decision.
Sidenote: As I was reading a list of famous Canadians to write down, I found that ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL is Canadian. What? And here I was, for 22 years, believing that he was from the US. How wrong I was!
Oh no! I forgot Steve Smith of the Red Green Show! That would have been a terrible person to leave out. That show is so weird and so funny - the serious epitome of how the US views Canadians. Watch it on PBS. Saturday nights. So much awesomer than SNL. For serious. I love how quirky it is. :)
SO, after some serious analysis of the people I have listed, and some other I haven't (*coughAvrilLavignecough*), I have come to a conclusion about Canadians. Well, the ones that I haven't met that seem normal.
Besides the fact that their country is split into Quebec and Everywhere Else, their political culture is a little weird. Wait. That IS why their political culture is weird. Ha. Duh. Anyway, they also are in a very cold area of the world. I mean, look at the Russians. They're a little weird, too, right? (you would know this, Scott...) I think it has to do with how cold they are and how much sunlight they get through the year. Why else would Canadians pronounce the "-out" as "-oot"? or the "-ag" as "-ayg"? (you know, bayg? fayg? aboot?)
They are also surrounded by landscape. Beautiful, undamaged, and, dare I say, unpolluted landscape. That would be so cool.
So, that being said, I think the root cause of oddities among Canadians is the cold. They are outside too much trying to escape from their crazy politics and their minds become affected by cold weather. In this escape attempt, they find that it's easier to pronounce words differently because their mouths are numb. Things start to sound fun that normally wouldn't, like jumping into a lake that is frozen two feet deep. Or ice hockey. Or universal healthcare.
Yup. The cold. Heaven knows it's done some of the same things to me, and I'm only in Utah. Feel free to comment if you're offended, or if you aren't. Either way, I'll probably still blame everything on the weather.
he is getting so grown up! he is a perfect mix of you and brian. so cute!
ReplyDeleteyou're silly. Sean is cute!
ReplyDeleteMy Dad's mom was from Alberta, Canada. Maybe that explains it... Celine Dion is also Canadian. wierd.
All very true. I also think it stems in part from their long association with the British (the second quirkiest people in the world). They took British eccentricities and steeped them in the cold to generate their own brand of weird. "Hey, put on your toque and we'll fry up some backbacon and watch the hockey game, eh? Beauty."
ReplyDeleteI agree this cold in making me nuts...although heart does the same thing. I guess I am just nuts
ReplyDeleteOkay, but you have noticed that people from Glendale, AZ have the same sort of weird stamp as people from Canada? Seriously, I can't tell you how many times I've met someone who is off and later I find out where they are from. Then the light bulb comes on and I think, "Oh now it makes sense. They are from Canada [or Glendale]." So I don't think the cold can be the answer.
ReplyDeleteHe's the cutest!!
ReplyDelete