Friday, April 10, 2009

4/10/09

So I was reading at Segullah today. I just love it. Anyway I found this article from their last publication

http://segullah.org/fall2008/unansweredqs.php

It's a beautiful piece. At the end she quotes from To Kill A Mockingbird, one of my all-time favorite novels, and she tied it in so well that it wrenched my heart and I almost had a cry-fest in my living room. It spoke to me because the subject is one that I'm torn up inside about: immigration and mercy vs. justice.

I recently re-read (ok, so it was a year ago) To Kill A Mockingbird with a family book club (which we need to start up again - hint hint). And with the discussion and investigating greater meaning within this novel, I came to a certain understanding about Atticus. While he isn't perfect, he is the great teacher of the novel. Without him we can't see the hope behind the injustices and unmerciful men. And especially after watching this past General Conference, I can't help but desire that hope. Not just for me, but for my family, friends, neighbors, everyone.

Sometimes it makes me so sad to think that there are those who believe that there is no room for compassion and understanding when it comes to rules. Rules are made to be broken, but only for mercy's sake. At least that's what I have experienced in life.


So on a note the doesn't make you think, Sean is learning how to cruise around the furniture and pull books off of shelves. I guess it's time to redecorate my living room. :) He also bit my big toe today. I don't understand that one, mostly how it happened. And i think that the top teeth are coming in for real now. He's pretty whiney today. blah.

2 comments:

  1. I like how you said people think that there isn't enough room for compassion. That has been one of the thigns that bother me so much in the chruch. We expect compassion from Christ but often fail to give it to others. I know everyone is that way but it seems to me that in our mormon culture we lack it the most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did mean that about people in our general society, but yes, we especially should expect so much from those who profess to be Christians. It's a failing that needs the most work in humanity.:) I guess that's what makes us human. Among other things...

    ReplyDelete