So, today I read an incredible article on Jeans. Read it. So good.
I have always worn jeans - at first it was because they were the pants my mom bought. Then it was because I was ashamed of the whiteness of my legs (jr high will do that to you). And then it was because they were comfortable and I didn't know what else to wear.
According to Mr. George F. Will, I should never wear them again because they are symbolic of the dressing down of America. And the world. Which will lead to the end of civilization? I don't know.
Well, Mr. George F. Will, I have already decided that I love skirts and dresses. For everyday use. You don't need to fight me on this one.
This decision and love came during the summer when I was a youth counsellor at Especially For Youth (EFY). We weren't allowed to wear jeans. We had our polos and khaki pants or skirts. And then we had our "churchgoing" outfits - skirts and tops, or dresses. (obviously my male-counterparts did not wear skirts or dresses. That would not be right or decent or setting a good example for the youth of today.) We had to look responsible and mature. Jeans apparently do not make you look responsible or mature.
So, I got comfortable in skirts and cute shoes. Skirts, ladies and gentleman, allow for a nice breeze around your legs. Dresses do the same. They make me feel pretty and feminine and lovely. They feel like summer and spring. I get to wear pretty shoes with them. Skirts are fantastic for pregnancy as they help keep the heat away.
But Mr. George F. Will - I need some jeans for the winter times. They are warm and comfortable and the wind doesn't blow snow into them. They keep the cold out. And who needs to be dressy when it's winter? Lame. I definitely don't feel like skirts during the cold times. They require tights and those itch.
I agree with the article. We ought to take some measure of pride in our appearance. We must ask ourselves if tastefully ripped jeans are, in fact, tasteful.
Well said. I agree with you 100%. I love skirts & dresses in the spring and summer, but I could never go without my jeans when it's cold.
ReplyDelete