Friday, January 8, 2010

Three books

I am currently reading three books. And, shockingly, none of the three have anything in common! And, even more shockingly, I haven't found time to just sit down and read them. I don't know what it is about the last couple of weeks, but every time I sit down to read I find myself interrupted by something. A child, husband, brother, or pressing need to do laundry. This has never happened so much to me and I'm beginning to think that it's how the rest of my life is going to look like. These books aren't very frivilous because I made a resolution to read books that were not just for mindless entertainment.

Here are the books and my thoughts so far:

Common Sense Parenting : It's the one for toddlers. I picked it up since I now babysit a 2-year-old and it's been completely beyond me as to how I should help him understand correct behavior. So far the tips I've read have mostly worked. For the most part it's just reinforcing my behavior, helping me realize that I'm doing pretty good in most areas and need to work much harder in others. Like explaining myself simply. And taking myself and child out of the situation that is causing troubling behavior from both of us. :)

Blink: It's by Malcolm Gladwell. I read The Tipping Point in December and it was so fantastic that I wanted to keep going. Gladwell's writing is intriguing and personable. I saw him on Stephen Colbert or something and he himself is intriguing and personable. It was almost enough to get a subscription to The NewYorker Magazine just so I can read his articles.

Agent Bishop: An interesting true story/autobiography of a man who was an LDS bishop at the same time he was an FBI Agent. Now that's a lot of hard work. Unfortunately it's not a lot of action, so it's going a little slower than I was hoping it would. Fortunately, it's interesting and I still have hope that he'll talk about some awesome investigation.

With any luck I'll get through these in the next couple of weeks.

3 comments:

  1. Nice! This is totally impressive. I wish I had more time to read. I find that I'm always saying, "After (enter whatever-huge-life-event-is-currently-taking-up-all-my-time here), I'm definitely going to read more. If you like Blink, I bet you'd like Freakanomics. It's one of my favorite non-fiction reads :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you read a parenting book. They are helpful and other people shouldn't be crazy if you read them. People are better for reading how to be better parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... funny how my new years resolution was to read MORE mindless entertainment.

    ReplyDelete