Sunday, March 21, 2010

Springish

It's getting to that time of year where I am willing to drive again. The snow is almost never coming back until fall and the roads aren't in danger of freezing over.

And I'm getting excited to start getting some lovely, inexpensive produce again.

For some reason, when winter comes I'm not in the mood for fruit, let alone vegetables, so it's a real challenge to convince myself to eat healthy. I usually resort to dried fruit and the occasional salad.

But what I'm most excited about is the fresh berries. Sean loves blueberries and I love to give them to him. It's so exciting to see him love healthy foods that I could not fathom liking. For example: blueberries and cottage cheese. I have never liked either and both are his favorite foods.

This summer I'm hoping that he's old enough to have smoothies, because that's going to be on the menu! Along with blueberry pancakes. Because I'm vaguely starting to feel like myself again.

And then at the end of July the farmer's market starts up again. BOY HOWDY do I want some fresh-picked cantaloupe! The farmer dude warned me that I would never buy store cantaloupe again. I foolishly didn't believe him. But let me tell you now - he was right. His was the best cantaloupe I had ever eaten, imagined that I could eat, or thought about eating. Yeah. If i ever finds out where he lives, you can bet I'll be haunting his doorstep as soon as I know his cantaloupes are ready for eating.

I am so glad that spring is starting to settle in.

1 comment:

  1. Amen! I love spring/summer because I actually WANT to eat salad and fresh fruit. Instead of potatoes and canned pasta and "rich" (fatty) desserts. :)
    Oh how I love smoothies.

    ReplyDelete