Today I have been scrubbing the grout in our home. On my hands and knees. With a sponge. And a bucket full of water and vinegar. I also did a load of laundry and prepped for dinner.
Now, before you all start calling me a home goddess, ruler of all things clean, please note that I am neglecting my child in order to accomplish such a feat. i am also sacrificing my hands and wrists to complete my task. As well as some sanity. Especially since I just realized that I don't have to make dinner tonight because our dear friend Mark is feeding us and some others tonight. oh my.
I am now going to gripe about the state of my house when we moved in. Skip this paragraph if you don't want to read it. I was so frustrated to find our new house so filthy. Did they ever dust the baseboards? Or wash the doors or light switches? Mop? Don't get me started on the paint job. You know, the paint that comes off on my Mr. Clean sponges and doesn't let go of scuff marks. And the upstairs shower... I'm still trying to figure out how to get off so much build-up from the walls. Hopefully Mr. Clean won't ruin that, too. Sigh. It's exhausting to move into a dirty place, have a baby, recover, and then figure out how to clean around his schedule. It's much easier to start off with clean, is it not? Rant over.
A great thing about Brian is that we made a deal that he does the surface cleaning and I do the deep cleaning. Because that is our respective favorite things to do. Call me crazy. Anyway, it's just fantastic when I can wait for my cleaning kick to move in and do tons of the exhausting kind of cleaning and organizing.
I'm going to give a shout-out to Oxy Clean. Can I just say that nothing works so well? A little hot water or a good over-night soak and my clothes are no longer grunge-y! It's also a great carpet spot cleaner.
Another great thing about my cleaning spurts is it's come at a time where my mind is in such turmoil about everything happening around me. I love having some time where all I'm thinking about is getting that dirt out and how I can win this battle for a clean house, even if the world around my little family is a whole lot more complicated to understand.
Plus it's always nice to prep for spring cleaning. :)
Ah, cleaning. I like deep cleaning, too, because you do the hard work but then you have visual evidence of your hard work! I appreciate the immediate results. :)
ReplyDeleteOn the shower I hear you can put vineger and water in the microwave and heat it up and then spray it on your shower walls and its suppose to get the soap scum off easy.
ReplyDeleteOxyClean is amazing! It is definitely my favorite- awesome on poo stains too.
ReplyDeleteYeah, our house was pretty bad when we moved in, too. At least the previous tenants had the excuse of being elderly and having passed away, but their kids really put forth no effort. I could have written exactly what you wrote as far as that is concerned, including the having a baby right after you move in, and not finding time to right the problem even though it irritates you all the time. Oh, and the junky paint job. We had paint drips on the carpet, as well as paint in many other places it shouldn't have been--like the base of light fixtures and doorknobs...and better than that, we had terrible patch jobs for small holes all over the walls, which never mind not retexturing--they didn't even sand the stuff down before painting over it. We have fixed some, but not all. Sigh. You and I can rant and rave about our injustices sometime. Won't that be fun.
ReplyDelete