Monday, February 14, 2011

V-Day

Happy Valentine's Day to you all!

I love that this traditional holiday has nothing to do with either Saint it's named after. I also love that the tradition of card-giving began in the Victorian Era. And, as with all Saint-days, has always been celebrated with a feast.

So we're going with tradition this year. Handmade cards and yummy dinner for two (that I'm making), and an avoidance of discussing both St Valentines. I don't expect the poetry those Victorians would spout off left and right, but isn't it nice to have an evening that society expects you to spend with your love?

While it seems en vogue to dislike this day because of Hallmark and flower companies and singledom, I have realized that it's ok to celebrate it however you like. Just so long as you make it about another person and not yourself. Because that's what love is really about.

Though chocolate is always nice, too.

1 comment:

  1. hope you enjoyed your day-about-other-people. (though when you're a mom, isn't that really everyday? ;)

    ReplyDelete